Thursday, December 4, 2008

Justice for Justine 2nd Anniversary

Justice for Justine 2nd Anniversary
Culpeper Star Exponent
November 4, 2008
Robert Legge

I attended the memorial service for Emerald Hill kindergarten teacher Justine Swartz (Abshire) last Monday. Last year's observance was held in a park in Orange near where Justine lived. But this one was held at the school where most of her students still attended and where she had many friends among the staff.
A maple tree was planted in her memory outside the school. It's nice to think that as that tree grows, it will provide colorful leaves and cooling comfort to students and teachers. I can see a bench there under those spreading branches someday.
Justine's mother, father, and daughter were there. I was a little nervous at first talking to them, thinking I might say something wrong. But I almost immediately sensed that they wanted me to feel comfortable and I did speak to all of them at length. I appreciated that.
Heidi Swartz, Justine's mother did get weepy when reading about Justine. But what are tears for if not to shed when reading about your daughter who died way too young.
I was a little disappointed that no one besides the family had stories to share in front of the whole group about their memories of Justine. But I guess that is not unusual. I have not attended many memorial services but I remember one I attended for a good friend where no one spoke up when the preacher asked if anyone had stories to share. I still regret that I didn't say anything and still wonder if I had that that may have broken the ice and others would have shared their recollections. But I understand that it can be hard to talk about those things.
I was glad to see the chief investigator to the case in attendance.
It cannot be stressed enough that this case is still open. I still think it will be solved. Those (and I think there are several) who have withheld information will come to regret that decision.
Justine was found lying in the road and initial reports indicated that she died as a result of being struck by a car. But subsequent findings have shown that Justine suffered 113 wounds, 23 to her head alone. No classic hit-and-run "strike marks".
A reasonable person could only conclude that she was killed somewhere else and left on the road to make it appear to be a simple, hit-and-run on a lonely road, even though it was a bright moonlit night.
Justine's husband Eric says he was the first person to find her at the scene of what now appears to have been a faked hit-and-run.
I can’t help but be reminded of another column I wrote a few months ago about a wife that was murdered by her husband who then committed suicide. Such murders do not happen out of the blue.
What keeps women in relationships when they must be aware of the potential consequences? I think most believe they can "fix" the problem. Most probably simply get used to it, after all, no one gets beat up on the first date and then stays in a long- term relationship. But those who have invested so much often don't want to give up. If they do, they may feel like a failure, having put so much in a relationship that they ended.
We all want to be optimistic that things will improve. That's only natural.
There are no easy answers. I was heartened to see signs up at Emerald Hill about their "No Bullying" program. I would hope that the schools continue similar programs through high school, where the models for abusive relationships often develop.
We all can contribute by treating our boyfriends, girlfriends, wives and husband in positive ways that hopefully will become the model for young people. I think that is one of many ways to keep Justine Swartz's memory alive.

No comments: